Meet Nemacolin newest member of the family! Prince of Nemacolin was born at Nemacolin Woodlands Resort on July 6, 2010. His mother and father both reside at the Resort and are part of our Wildlife Academy. The Father is a White Lion, the mom is not but a white gene carrier.
Want to see the lions? Our Wildlife Habitats are free to the public and can be viewed by car. However, we recommend parking your vehicle and walking between Habitats.
Prince of Nemacolin is currently being featured in our Wild Animal Shows which takes place each Saturday at 4:00 p.m.
White Lion Fun Facts:
- White cubs occasionally turn up among tawny lions in the Timbavati and Kruger National Park regions.
- White lions are not a separate subspecies.
- The population of the white lion is unknown but the most recent count was in 2004 and 30 were alive.
- White lions are not albino lions. The white color is caused by a recessive gene known as a color inhibitor.
- It has not been scientifically proven; however, many claim the white lions suffer a distinct disadvantage in nature because they are highly visible to prey and / or hunters.